RETURN TO SCHOOL 2021-2022 UPDATE
Please visit this page to review the latest in our regular updates about the Return to School on August 18, 2021. We’ve been preparing all summer for the 2021-22 school year, and we are excited to welcome our students back in-person, full-time, 5 days a week.
Please note that all of this information is based on the latest guidance for public schools from the State of California and Sonoma County health officials. It might be updated in the future, and we will let you know if it is. For more information, please watch the Webinar Recording: Fall 2021-2022 Return to School Community Information Night held on August 5th.
We have three major areas to share in this update:
- What families can expect at school
- New State legislation AB 130 Independent Study for students whose health would be put at risk by in-person instruction
- New State legislation AB 104 Learning Recovery, more specifically, Pupil Retention
WHAT FAMILIES CAN EXPECT AT SCHOOL
Preparing to Return to School Big Idea Reminders
- Please remember to continuously self-monitor for symptoms consistent with COVID-19 and stay home when sick.
- OAUSD will offer on-site COVID-19 Testing. Please sign up using the regiatration link to give parental consent.
- Visitors to campus will be limited at the start of the school year per CDPH guidance.
Arrival and Dismissal
- Students must be picked up and dropped up at their designated gate assignments. Parents/caregivers will remain in their vehicles or go the identified walk-up location and not go onto campus.
- No staggered start and end times from the spring. Schools will follow the current bell schedules.
Free Meals and Lunch
- All students will be provided free breakfast and lunch at school during the 2021-22 school year.
- All families are still encouraged to complete the household income verification form to ensure they receive eligible P-EBT (grocery) and other benefits, and to obtain additional funding for their school site.
- All OAUSD campuses will utilize bag lunches and have a combination of outdoor and indoor lunch. Cleaning will occur after each transitioning lunch group.
- Students will be separated to the maximum extent possible for the space that they are in. There are no minimum spacing guidelines. (Therefore, bell schedules will be back to normal and not broken into “cohorts.”) In the classroom, desks will be structured as appropriate for each classroom. For example, elementary classrooms with only 24 students may have more space between them than secondary students with classes of 32 students.
- Outside playground and physical education classes will not have any distancing restrictions.
- Distancing while eating will be maximized as much as possible including eating outside.
All students will be able to ride the bus for free during the first couple of weeks of school. Families will receive the Transportation Request Form via parent square to give permission to ride. We will use this information to develop the temporary routes. The transportation department will post the bus stop routes on the transportation web page. Students must be at the predesignated school bus stop location 5 minutes prior to scheduled pick up time.
Families will also receive a bus pass application in the first day of school-packet. Please return the form to your school if you need transportation for the 2021-2022 school year. Participation and the fee schedule will be determined per the qualifications of the household income form.
We will provide a Kids Care after-school program at every site and we will be open on the first day of school to enrolled families. We are currently understaffed at all five sites so our program will be smaller this year at some sites than it has been in the past. Families who currently have a spot in our programs have been notified. Per our Intent to Enroll paperwork all other families are waitlisted. Intent to Enroll forms to join our waitlist can be found on the district website.
We have been unable to fill our before-school program positions so we will NOT be launching a before care program on the first day of school.
Some of our most pressing open positions are currently posted to Ed-Join. Please spread the word to the early childhood education professionals you know!
You will receive additional information regarding returning to school from your home school office.
AB 130 INDEPENDENT STUDY (please click the link above on left side of this page for more information)
AB 104 LEARNING RECOVERY (please click the link above on left side of this page for more information)
To view information from last school year: Reopening School 2020-21